Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Does your kid like Fox News?

Mine does. Or at least he says he does. The somewhat odd thing is that my son is only 3 years old. I know he would much rather watch The Wonder Pets or one of the Toy Story Movies, but ocassionally he will show some excitement that Fox News is on. A couple things happened this past weekend that showed the indoctrination of my child is taking hold. I just wish we could have the same affect on the 8 or 9 people that watch "The Ed Show" on MSNBC each night.

Before this weekend, he's always shown an interest in his daddy's favorite news channel. When he was about 2, he walked into the room while I was watching Fox News. Karl Rove was being interviewed. He asked, "Daddy, who's that on TV." To which I replied, "Karl Rove. He's the smartest man in the world." So for the next couple of months when someone would ask him, "Who's the smartest man in the World?" He'd quickly reply, "Karl Rove." When he'd hear his name being said on TV, his eyes would light up, and he'd say, "He said Karl Rove! He said Karl Rove!" I'm not sure if it's Karl's tussle with Kristine O'Donnell or just that he's moved on, but he doesn't mention Karl too much anymore.

Another funny thing happened when we were reading his pop-up book on America. The US Capital Building is on one of pages that pops out. The first time he saw that he said, "Look. It's Fox News!" He recognized the Capital Building which is in the background during Bret Baier's show. That's usually on while we are eating dinner at night. He was able to make the connection without me having to say anything. In the same book, one of the pages is the Golden Gate Bridge. We were reading it one night, and I asked him if he knew who lived under that bridge. I told him the evil witch Nancy lived under that bridge (referring to the elected official from that particular district, who could that be?). The next morning he was reading the same book with his mother. They got to that page and he explained to her that the evil witch Nacy lived under that bridge. My wife could just shake her head. I on the other hand was beaming with pride.

Back to this past weekend. The first example happened when we went to visit my wife's aunt on Friday. We walked in and Fox News happened to be on. He said, "That's Fox News. I love Fox News." Her aunt asked him what he watched on Fox News. He replied, "Glenn Beck." She was a little taken aback that a 3-year-old knew that he watched Glenn Beck on Fox News. I once again beamed with pride.

The next example occurred this past Sunday when one of our friends were watching Taylor because my wife had a baby shower and I had a church meeting. Imagine that, everything happening at the same time. Anyway, she asked him what he wanted to do. He said he wanted to go play in her son's room upstairs. That's normal for a 3-year-old so she said great that he could go play with his Lego's. He then said that after that he wanted to come back downstairs and watch Fox News. A little surprised, she jokingly asked him, "Who do you watch on Fox News?" To which he once again replied, "Glenn Beck." I think she about fell out. She was so surprised she had to call her husband in to hear him repeat that. He then had to record that to send to one of his conservative friends in Texas. Once again, I beamed with pride.

This may be no big deal, and it's just a kid repeating what he's heard. But I think it's pretty cool that he chooses this to repeat. Fair and Balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment