Thursday, August 14, 2014

And why are you going to Haiti?

Turns out that's a pretty common response when you tell people that's the Caribbean Island you chose as the destination for your time off work.  Going on a mission trip?  Going with your church?  Also common questions to which the answer is always, "Yep."

So why am I going to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere?  Let's back up just a little.

As I worked through the "Follow Me" study from David Platt earlier this year, I began to realize something.  I'm just a fan standing on the sidelines.  I know all about the game.  I know the rules, the players, and the history of the game. I devote my time and money to the game.  I even make the game a family event.  But I fall short of making a real difference in what happens on the field.

Jesus's first and last commands on Earth were to "Follow Me." Very simple in nature, but we allow excuses to stand in the way.  Using my sports analogy, that is what I was doing.  I was using every possible excuse to not cross the line and get on the field.

Digging into God's Word in that study gave me a greater understanding on what exactly it means to follow Jesus.  It goes beyond Church attendance or memorizing Bible verses.  It's a commitment to serve Him in every area of your life.  We can't pick and choose what we will give up and what we'll hold back.  Jesus requires a full trust of your life to His service.

So this is the first step in fully living out that commitment.  It feels like learning to swim in the deep end of the pool, but our faith in Him will grow when we see His strength in our weakness.

I pray that every step is made in His direction, and that those I meet may know Him better because of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment