Thursday, August 14, 2014

Have you ever attended a Haitian wedding?

I just attended my first Haitian wedding.  In doing so, I broke about every rule I have on attending a wedding.

1) I didn't shave.
2) I wore shorts.
3) I had on tennis shoes.
4) I didn't have on a tie.
5) I hadn't had a shower in at least 24 hours.

That's a pretty exhaustive list.  Keep in mind that it's August Haiti in so a different set of rules apply.

When we arrived for the ceremony, we received a special surprise. My wife and I and several other couples from our team were asked to take part in the ceremony.  Gotta love surprises like that, but one of the motto's of a mission trip to Haiti is "Be flexible."  We walked down the aisle prior to the ceremony as examples of what love and a marriage look like.  That's a little humbling to be used as examples of marriage.  But in the Haitian culture, their views on marriage differ from ours.

So back to the story, we were essentially the groomsmen and bridesmaids.  We got to sit up front right behind the groom and bride.  It was a very interesting contrast.  The local Haitians were dressed in their Sunday best while we "fortunate" Americans looked like we were about to go play a round of putt-putt.  A contrast indeed, but a huge honor to us also.

It had about all you'd expect from a Haitian wedding (if you had any predilections).  Stopping the service because of feedback in the mics from all the cellphones plugged in near the soundboard?  Check.  Service being stopped because the picture slideshow had to be stopped because it was creating a distraction?  Check.  Service being stopped because the kids playing right outside the church were too noisy?  Check.  As you may be able to tell, there was no organized timing for the service (keep flexibility in mind).  In Haiti, they tell time with an -ish on the end.  For example, we are going to leave at 8 (that's heard as 8-ish).

All jokes aside, it was a wonderful ceremony in which two people in love joined their lives before God.  It helped me appreciate my own marriage more and enriched my experience with the Haitian people.

No comments:

Post a Comment