Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Can you forgive me?

As in any relationship, mistakes can be made.  Things are said and actions are taken that are later regretted.  Once words leave your mouth, they cannot be returned.  Many times those unfortunate events will be caught on video or in pictures and posted for the world to see.  Forgiveness can be given, but often times, things are not forgotten.

I made one of those mistakes. We should support the ones we love no matter how hard times are.  We shouldn't give up on someone just because we feel we've been wronged.  I gave up on someone I have loved longer than I've known my wife.  Even though the bond is not strong and the commitment not as deep as my marriage vows, this love has existed since my childhood.  Yes last night, I quit on the New York Yankees.  It was a big game against the rival Red Sox, and I quit.  Facing a home sweep and the possible collapse of our season, I gave up.  And I'm sorry.  Can you forgive me?  We've had a good relationship.  It started out rough, but they've been very good to me over the years.  And in return, I've been very loyal.  I rooted for Hideki Irabu and stood by Jason Giambi.  Relationships can hit a rough spot.

In this game, Phil Hughes had pitched very well.  Alex Rodriguez delivered in the clutch with 2-run homer in the 7th inning that gave us the lead.  We made it through the 8th and had Mo Rivera coming back in the 9th.  He's been more than reliable for over a decade and is a major reason that I've seen 5 World Series championships won by my team, but Mo had a bad night.  After giving up the lead in the top of the 9th, I held out hope that we could win it in the bottom of the inning.  Papelbum was coming in, but he was far from perfect this season.  Thanks to Cano who's been a league MVP caliber player this year, the Yanks tied up the score.  But with the bases loaded and only 1 out, they could not take the lead.

I was done.  It was 11:30, and I had to go to work the next day.  I'd given them 9 strong faithful innings, but I couldn't stay up any longer.  Once again, I'm sorry.  I woke up the next morning to find out they won the game with a walk-off walk in the 10th.  Just one more inning was all it would have taken for me to see the Yanks defeat the Sox.  I gave in too soon.  I'm always the optimist, but in this case, I was weak.

I promise that as long as the season continues, I will be there watching.  I won't give up.  My sleep will be sacrificed to offer up the support that may be needed to pull another late-inning victory out.  Let's just hope that the games continue until late in the month of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment