Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What happened to the creator?

It took a couple of weeks, but I'm finally getting around to my first political rant. The president gave a speech over the weekend. It seemed to be his normal fare where he was long on rhetoric and short on details. There was one portion of his speech that made a few headlines and caught my attention. Of course, this has not been picked up by most of the media who probably don't consider it a big deal.

The president was quoting the Declaration of Independence and left out a significant phrase. "...We hold thee truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. Endowed with certain inalienable rights; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Notice what was missing? That's right, the Creator.

To me that's significant. First of all as a Christian, I find it apalling that he would leave that out. I think he went to church for the first time in office a few days later. Hopefully, he was able to brush up on the whole God/Creator idea.

In another way, I think it's part of a larger movement to rewrite our country's founding and history to remove any semblence of God from the public square. I believe it's the desire of some in the ruling class to make the people dependent on government and not God. There are too many people, especially in the younger generation that are looking for a hand out. Why should I do it when someone will do it for me?

On the Statue of Liberty, there is a plaque on which "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus is engraved. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." This doesn't mean send them over and we'll care for them. This means that we'll take them in and together we can build something strong that will be a lamp unto other nations who long for hope.

We need to once again come together as a nation for the future of our country. There will be things that we disagree on, major things in some cases. I know the founders didn't agree on everything. But they worked together for the good of all to establish some thing God has blessed like no other in history. It is now time that we restore that hope and rely on God to bring us together and strength us again.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments:

Post a Comment