Monday, December 27, 2010

How cool was that?

The answer is very cool. This is a response to the last posting about President and Mrs. Bush's visit to Charlotte. The good news is that in day 2 of my line-standing journey, my experience was only a little over 2 hours long.

The whole event was very interesting. All the local news guys were there so you had that big event feel. As I was standing in line, I looked up and saw Greta van Susteren from Fox News. I found out later that she'd done an interview with Billy Graham and Pres. Bush.

We were still in line outside with no view of the W (if I may call him that with all due respect). However, things were surreal with all the secret service agents around. It was clear they were not going to mess around.

After about 2 hours in line, we made it up to the metal detectors. No pictures because cameras were not allowed inside and cell phones had to be turned off. Once you made it inside, it was a little like Disney World with the zig-zag rope lines. I eventually made it near the end of the line. I was about 20 people back when I just casually stuck my hand in my pocket. It was more out of nervous energy than anything. At that point, the secret service agent beside me kindly asked, "Sir, can you please take your hand out of your pocket?" "Yes sir" was my quick and alarmed response. As I waited for my heart to start beating again I finally approached the table. Mrs. Bush was first greeting everyone with a "Thank you for coming and have a Merry Christmas." She was as graceful as you'd imagine based on what I've seen on TV.

At the end of the table sat the man who less than two years ago was the most powerful man on earth. He shook everone's hand and offered a pleasant greeting. He looked up from signing a book, stuck out his hand, and said, "Thanks for coming. Have a Merry Christmas." It wasn't my wedding or the birth of my child, but that was one of the coolest things i've experienced. That may sound dorky, but for me, it's true.

He's just a man. But he's a man that I respect for his morals and integrity. Think of him what you may, it can't diminishy experience.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment