Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Why am i up at 6am on my vacation?

No, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or Sarah Palin are not coming to the Graham Library for a book signing.

I'm going deer hunting. I'm currently camo'ed up and about to go out into the 22 degree weather to sit in the middle of the woods to find the ever elusive white-tailed deer.

I didn't grow up a hunter so this has been a fun learning experience for me. Lucky for me, I have patient in-laws that have joined me on the journey these last eight years. To some, it may seem mean or barbaric or just a plain waste of time. In fact, I accidently made a coworker cry one time just bringing up the subject. However, there is much more to the actual experience than the casual observer would expect. It's refreshing to be in the woods with absolutely no sounds. No airplanes, no cars, no radio or TV. It's amazing to hear the silence in nature just before the sun presents itself for the day or just before it disappears to reveal the darkness of night.

It's called a sport, but it's much more than that. Like anything, it can be abused or given a bad name. But it reaches back to the early days when man had to hunt their food. They may have not had high-powered rifles or Scent Lock clothing, but it's the same in nature. It's taking part in God's design that man care for the other beasts of His creation. Plus, it's just fun to go shoot guns with the boys.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment